Credits

The Designers Chic

Friday, April 23, 2010

Celebrating Diversity

Note: I got this article from RemitHome. I am using RemitHome to send money to my family in the Philippines. I just want to share to you this article.

The Philippines: Celebrating Diversity

Most Americans, and some Filipinos as well, probably do not fully appreciate the great diversity of peoples, cultures and languages in the Philippines. With 7,109 islands, and cultural influences from many sources, it's not surprising that different parts of the Philippines have maintained diverse languages and cultures.

It is estimated that there are 171 native languages spoken in the Philippines. While most Filipinos refer to these languages as "dialects", most are significantly different from each other to preclude mutual intelligibility. So native speakers of Cebuano, Ilocano, and Kapampangan need to find a common language to communicate with each other.

English is certainly one possible common language, since it serves as a language of instruction in schools in the Philippines. In this issue of the newsletter below, we discuss Filipino, the national language of the Philippines.

2 comments:

Windy said...

Hello there Hazel,

Your Post title is misleading.

It says, "Stop Bashing Zoo-Veena" which would mean you wish bloggers to stop bashing her.

What you really meant is "Zoo-Veena, Stop Bashing".

Or you could keep that same title but add a comma like this:

"Stop Bashing, Zoo-Veena"

I'd prefer, "Zoo-Veena, Stop Bashing". It sends a clear unmistaken signal.

You may send the wrong signal with that first title.

Just so you know.

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

I stand corrected, Windy. Thanks for the comment. I appreciate when someone corrects my mistakes because I learn from it. Thanks again.