Credits

The Designers Chic

Monday, February 2, 2009

Oxtail Stew in Peanut Butter Sauce

I have been looking for an oxtail meat for weeks now. I couldn't find them at Wal-Mart where we usually shop for groceries. Last Thursday, we went to Valley City to find the oxtail meat. We got lucky that they have it and bought 2 packs. Kare-Kare is one of my favorite Filipino dish.



Name of the Recipe: Oxtail Stew in Peanut Butter Sauce (Kare-Kare)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pack of oxtail or beef stew meat
  • 1 pouch Mama Sita's Peanut Sauce (Kare-Kare) Mix, dissolved in 1 cup broth
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • pechay or bokchoy
  • sitaw or long green beans (I used green beans), cut into 2 inches length
  • 8 cups of water
  • banana blossom
  • 1 tablespoon of sliced onion
  • sliced eggplant
  • bagoong gata or sauteed shrimp paste
Procedure:
  • Boil oxtail in water. Lower heat and simmer until meat is tender leaving about 1 1/2 cups broth
  • In a heavy saucepan, saute garlic and onion in oil. Add oxtail, stir fry and pour in dissolved Mama Sita's Kare-Kare Mix. Add the remaining broth.
  • Stir and simmer until sauce thickens, then add the eggplant and sitaw or green beans. Simmer for 3 minutes, more stirring occasionally.
  • Lastly, add pechay or bokchoy and simmer for 2 minutes or until vegetables are done. Serve hot with rice and shrimp paste.
Note: I didn't add eggplant in my Kare-Kare. Banana blossom is not available so it is up to you what vegetable you have.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

what in the world..kalami sad aning day uy..napay nabilin dha? agot maglaway nasad ko ani...hehhe..kalami sa pic dhangz....hehehe! salamat sa recipe! basin maghimo ko ani sunod!

Chubskulit Rose said...

sarap naman nya, i added u in my list haze if you don't mind.. hope u can do the same, thank you!

mommy Orkid Belle said...

I have definitely not tried oxtail meat yet and I don't know if I ever will. How does it tastes like ate Haze? Right now I am looking for beef shanks or antything with bones.. hmmmmmm gutom ko!

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

@ Dhemz:

Lami jud dai, I really like this dish. malamian ko sa sauce hehehe

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

@ chubskulit:

Hello, thanks for adding me, I will yours too... Thanks!

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

@ Inday Adin:

It is good Adin, I like it... I like to make kutkot sa meat in the bones. Malamian gani ko kanang tripe hehehe

Wena said...

hello hazie!!!

I never tried using mamsita mix for kare kare,i always used peanut butter.....U can brown the meat first hazie and sautee the garlic and then boil it..it gives agood consistency...Plus never tried eggplant too..hehehe..

I put banana blossom,snakebeans or baguio beans then bokchoy.....hmmm...you make me drool....=)

eva said...

wow ansarap nyan kare-kare. =)

would you mind exchanging link? i have 3 blogs. let me know so that i can add yours too.

thanks and have a great day

http://www.yellownpink.com
http://www.starbuckscitymug.info
http://www.allaboutevamee.com

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

@ Wena:

Hello Wenggay! I didn't put eggplant in my kare-kare Weng. I just put green beans and bokchoy. I don't have banana blossom. It is really good, hehehe

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

@ Eva:

Hello Eva! thanks for coming by, sure we can exchange links. I will add your three blogs in my two blogs... Thanks!

Umma said...

wAAAH, looks so yummy Haze..but I dont know how to cook this one.. Will try to grab your recipe sistah ha?

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

Hello Umma! sure sistah, you can try this recipe some time. You can try beef cubes if dili ka ganahan ug oxtail.

me said...

OMG! kare-kare is my fave food of all time..tulo laway ako ngayon sis..paglabas ko from work later hanap ako ng kare-kare..hehehehe..

btw added this one into my fave blog list..hope you will add mine as well..

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

Hello KittyKat! Thanks for the comment. I love kare-kare too. I will add all your blogs to my 2 blogs too. Thanks

Pinay said...

Kalami ani Haze,Kare kare paborito nako ni.Naglaway gyd ko sa picture bah wah!

I never tried doing this here kay ako bana dili ganahan ug shrimp paste.kaon nalang ko ana pag uli nako Pinas puhon.

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

Hello Amor! favorite pud ni nako ang kare-kare. lami jud girl hehehe. My husband dili pud ganahan sa shrimp paste but he ate this one without the shrimp paste hehehe

amiable amy said...

i will tell my hubby to cook this hahaha....patabang ko ba...hehhe

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

hehehe go Amy! let me know unya ha... I really love kare kare